28 June 2011

Day Four- Favourite Place



This is a picture of my Church, I found it by typing Barham Church into Google Images, I found pictures of two other Churches at the same time, but it comes from the Wikipedia page. The Church is my favourite place because it's calm and tranquil and alost always quiet. It's usuallly cold which is not so fun in winter, but makes it the absolute best place in summer. It houses the holiday club I've both gone to and helped at. In short it's a place which feels like home, it's always the same and I always am and know I always will be welcome there.

The building is pretty astonishing with some amazing history, parts of it are over 1000 years old, built in the time of William the Conqueror, while other parts are only about 20-30 years old, built in the 80's. Using it you can see the history of the local lords and ladies who're buried within the Church. You can also see where the 18th and 19th Centuries saw it's size expand rapidly.

It houses the first Organ of it's kind in the country, as well as a unique sculpture by a world-famous artist. It owns silverware which is centuries old, although the best is kept in secure storage at Bury Cathedral.

Yet it's the people who make it what it is. The group of kind and loving people who know one another, who've known me since I was a tot (my parents started taking me there every sunday when I was about 3), who've watched me grow up and genuinely care for me. It's them really that makes this my favourite place.

I love Suffolk as a whole, but this is the only place that I have always felt safe.

Here is my attempt at drawing it:


And here is a significantly better painting my Grandad did about 20 years ago I think, probably because that's where my parents got married :)



Hope everyone's enjoying the pictures.

Rowen

No comments:

Post a Comment