5 October 2012

Book Beginnings: Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

'It was Love at first sight.'

Not really what I expected as the beginning to a book about a man who, according to the blurb, 'is furious because thousands of people he has never met are trying to kill him.' 

I have few preconceptions about this book beyond that it's supposed to be fairly fast-paced. I guess I'll find out more about it tonight.

I'm linking up to Book Beginnings @ Rose City Reader.

Let me know what you thought of this book? And was it made into a film? I'm not sure...

Rowen

14 comments:

  1. Happy Catch 22! I loved it, hope you enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) And that's a promising reaction :P

      Delete
  2. It has been a long time since I read Catch 22. Hope you enjoy it. Here is my Post:
    Book Beginnings


    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not a first sentence I'd expect from that book either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just doesn't seem to make sense with what I know of the book!

      Delete
  4. I need to reread this one. I do remember it being fast-paced. I've never seen a movie adaptation of Catch 22...I don't know if it would translate to screen very well. But like I said, I need to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fast-paced I like, it always helps me read faster and enjoy more. I don't know why I had the niggle about the movie adaptation, I think it might have been something my Dad mentioned once...

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this one, but saw the movie in 1970. We often hear that expression, though: "catch 22."

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get used a lot. And thanks for confirming that there was a movie for me.

      Delete
  6. I read Catch 22 because it was on the Modern Library's Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century list. I liked it a lot, more than I thought I would.

    Thanks for posting Book Beginnings on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's optimistic! But it's a similar reason to why I'm reading it I guess...

      Delete
  7. Like Laurel-Rain, I never read the book, but did see the movie, which is very memorable.

    ReplyDelete