24 January 2016

Sunday recap: 24th January 2016


I've not managed so well this week. I felt a little under the weather and it kind of put thoughts of healthy eating, reading and swimming out of my mind. I have managed to listen to most of a 30 hour audio book however.

Don't forget to head over to the Caffeinated Book Reviewer and sign up.

What I've been reading:

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan
What I've Posted This Week:

I've only managed one post this week
My Bookish Resolutions

Reading Challenges:
  • I have read 9/41 Discworld books
  • I have read 3/100 books in 2016 so far
Blogging Challenges:
  • I feel like a blogging routine is something that is evading me.
  • I have made progress towards cataloguing my 'library', here. 
  • So far I have managed to review all of the books I've finished so far this year! Huzzah, one New Years Resolution going well.
  • I've set up the basics for some reviews I'm planning to write.
Personal Challenges:
  • I managed to maintain a neutral weight this week.
  • I only went swimming once this week and only managed 42 lengths.
  • I had 2 fizzy drinks this week. A step backwards.
A Couple of Interesting Articles I've seen this week
  • This post from Math With Bad Drawings which draws together two of my greatest loves; Maths and Storytelling. It's a relatively intense look at life from the perspective of some of the most prominent numbers we can be taught.
  • This post about the semantics of translating from maths into other languages. In school we were taught the two different definitions of a Billion, on the basis that financially we as a nation now use the short-scale version and that historically we have used the long scale version. As a maths graduate and computer programmer I do wish they'd tidied up the code they inserted into the article however as I feel there are a couple of steps which can only cause confusion.
  • And finally this post which says that Dirty Dancing is to be remade. I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand I love the film and am a bit concerned a remake could ruin the charm of the original. On the other I always wanted to know what happened after the summer ended and a part of me hopes this may open up avenues for that to be explored. 
A quote from the bible for the week

Purer were her Nazarites than snow, Whiter than milk, ruddier of body than rubies, Of sapphire their form. - Lamentations 4:7

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that there's a "right" order to read The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown...they were published in reverse chronological order and that's how I read them, which worked for me. Love them both!

    ReplyDelete