27 January 2016

Prince of Fools - Mark Lawrence

Image from Goodreads
I’m a liar and a cheat and a coward, but I will never, ever, let a friend down. Unless of course not letting them down requires honesty, fair play or bravery.

The Red Queen is dreaded by the kings of the Broken Empire as they dread no other.

Her grandson Jalan Kendeth – womaniser, gambler and all-out cad – is tenth in line to the throne. While his grandmother shapes the destiny of millions, Prince Jalan pursues his debauched pleasures.

Until, that is, he gets entangled with Snorri ver Snagason, a huge Norse axeman and dragged against his will to the icy north…


My Review of The Prince of Fools on Goodreads consisted of a single line ‘ A bit like loving Jorg all over again, except a Character so different from Jorg at the Same time!’. Suffice it to say I loved it and was beyond exited when Mark Lawrence liked my review. I could leave it at that but I won’t.

Prince of Fools has every bit of excitement the Broken Empire has to offer, it’s a thrilling look at the dead things lurking, and we see them much earlier and with a much more honest opinion than with Jorg. These are terrifying monsters that leave you gripping the edge of your seat. Months after reading the story I can still see them clawing their way towards Jalan.

While Jorg wanted to appear brave, and I think often more so than he was, Jalan wants to appear cowardly, usually more so than he was. In the blurb he claims to be a liar and a cheat and a coward, and to an extent he is all three. But from a different perspective I think he is perhaps too harsh on himself, throughout the story we find hidden depths to him, and if there is some dishonesty and cowardice in his actions so too is there bravery and caring.

I’m not saying this story will be for everyone, Mark Lawrence’s stories offer up people’s flaws in a way that is not always appealing. I however loved it and will definitely be reading the second instalment once it comes out in paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment