20 January 2012

My First Quilt - Project 2012

Just over a year ago, maybe a fortnight before the end of 2010 I decided I wanted to sew something worthwhile that I could take around and use to destress a bit. Enter major, over-reaching Idea, I wanted to make a quilt. Would any old quilt do for me, no, I decided I was going to handsew a king-size quilt, because people were doing it for hundreds of years so there's no reason I couldn't right?

As a kid I liked to sew, we used to go to my grandparents every morning before school and I had my own sewing box there, it sat on top of my Nan's. I started all kinds of projects, the only ones I really finished were some cross-stitches and some dolls cushions. But my Nan used to cut up table cloths and tea towels for me to mess around with. I loved sewing them together and seeing what I could make. In hindsight perhaps my favourite part was embroidering, I did some samplers, but was somewhat hampered by only knowing two stitches.

Fast-forward about a decade from my first learning to sew and my project has evolved into 214 6 inch quilt sqaures which I planned to make during the next year. This went less well than anticipated, I got through about 30 of them, not bad, but not nearly as well as I'd planned.

So this year my project is to at least finish the front of this quilt, I plan to make approximately 3-5 a week, and hopefully show them off on sundays.

I hope you enjoy seeing what I've done.

Rowen

No comments:

Post a Comment