2 December 2013

Warm Bodies - Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
Image from Goodreads
Warm bodies is a story that I, like many, first came into contact with when the film trailer was played. It was a film that looked both hilarious and touching, along the lines of Shaun of the Dead, and I wanted to go see it....

I who avoid all scary movies...

I didn't...

However when I found a copy of Warm Bodies in my local Waterstones I jumped at the chance to read it. 

Warm bodies lives up to its promises - how can a book about a zombie falling in love with a girl be anything but hilarious? How can a book about that girl falling in love right back be anything but touching? 

This book captivated me. It's a love story every bit as classic as Romeo and Juliet, or Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. It's a story that I think will stand the test of time. Not because of the context, or the writing style, but because the emotions at its core are so heartfelt, so real, that they shine through every page.

I really enjoyed the flashes of Perry's life that we glimpsed when R was eating his brain. It was a description which for the first time ever helped me to understand why a Zombie might possibly want to eat brains...

The writing style for Warm Bodies seemed unusual for its genre. It reminded me of books like A Room with a View, and other early 20th Century classics. It jumped around a fair bit, which made sense within the story, and I found it made reading it easier, despite this being a style I don't usually enjoy. 

I loved this book! It is quite possibly the best book I've read so far this year! I'd recommend it to all my friends, and I've even passed it on to my Dad, which only happens with the very best books.

Now just to find and watch the film!

Rowen

24 days to go

No comments:

Post a Comment